Thursday, September 4, 2008

Learning to Read

Q: When and how did you learn to read?

A: When my mom was pregnant she would read to me before I was even born. As I grew up she continued to read to me stories of Dr. Suess and other picture books like Go Dog Go. When I was little I had paper that had the letters on it and I was able to trace the letters and rewrite them over and over. Eventually, I was able to form letters without the special paper. Then, I was able to read the books my mom use to read to me like Horton Hears a Who and such. Those little picture books turned into smaller printed books with chapters consisting of a few pages. The book size continued to grow and the print continued to minimize. Small books grew into larger ones like Judy Bloom and then into Harry Potter and The Series of Unfortunate Events. My mom sat by my side many nights and listened to me read and helped my with words i did not know or could not say. They have always had small books for me to pick up and read for my own pleasure. When I was little I would read any chance I got, but now I do not as much.

No comments: